Tuesday, September 27, 2011

99.

This number is epic. This number represents life, joy, pain, suffering, and love.

Today is my grandmother's birthday; she turned 99. She is one of the most amazing people I have ever known in my life. She half raised me growing up, and is everything I hope to become. She is beautiful both inside and out, and has the heart of an over-comer.


I can't even begin to imagine the things she has seen over the last 99 years, but when she opens her mouth to share a memory of her past, I am all ears. I soak in every word, trying to cherish every story. I cannot believe the things I have learned from her. She is like a book with a wealth of knowledge. And what a beautiful outlook on life.

She has experienced loss of two children, two husbands, and three sisters- just to name a few. She has overcome so much pain in her life and yet her inner joy still comes through. I will never forget when my grandfather died, I was in her house getting ready for the funeral- I was 5. She started crying. I immediately grabbed her hand, gave it a squeeze, and in my bigger-than-a-five-year-old voice I said, "Grandma, it's ok. We have each other." She later returned the favor at the funeral, with a hand squeeze, as tears ran down my face, "It's ok, we have each other." I hope to make it through heartache with as much grace as she has throughout her years.

She broke her hip last year, and came through it with flying colors. She was victorious and made it through- something truly extraordinary. They say most people over the age of 50 don't make it past the first 6 months after a hip replacement surgery. My amazing husband drove me to Rochester in the middle of the night during of fit if me hyperventilating. We made it in time to see her before she went in for her surgery. That was a trying time in my life. I thought I was about to lose one of the most important people in my life, but she was stronger than that, and still is. She lives on her own. Cooks, cleans, and is completely self sufficient. All she needs since the accident is a walker and a hearing aid. That's awesome- I could brag on her all day.

I have so many amazing memories with her growing up. Saturday morning homemade swedish pancakes. Homemade strawberry jam served with butter and bread (A lot of my memories include her food!). Getting really involved in an episode of Wheel of Fortune. Bedtime story reading. Baths with an inch of water at the bottom of the tub. Trips to the Senior Citizen's center to watch her square dance, while I tried to charm the other seniors. The best sympathy ever when I was sick- even if it was a little sniffle. No matter what she always made me feel like a queen. She taught me how to serve.

Life moves forward, and business consumes my life. The opportunity to pay her a visit becomes less and less. It makes my heart ache to think that I don't spend enough time with her. My favorite way of communicating with her is by letters. None of that e-mail stuff. Good old fashioned stationary and penmanship. I love receiving her letters. No matter what is going on, they bring such joy to my day. I have saved every single one and plan to keep them forever.


Words cannot describe how much this woman means to me. I cannot even put it in to words. I am proud to share our middle name, and I am proud of her legacy. I strive to be even a fraction of the woman she is. I love her so much.

Next year, 100 candles on the cake.

I love you Edith Elizabeth, you mean the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment