Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I'll Play My Drum For You.

Do you ever feel insignificant? Do you feel like you're not talented at anything?

I struggle with this. I look at others and their gifts and feel, well, jealous. Artists, musicians, photographers, writers- Their talents make me feel mediocre. I often feel as though I don't excel at anything.

Have you ever heard the song "The Little Drummer Boy? Of course you have. But have you ever listened to it. I couldn't really stand it until I heard a version of it that I am going to share with you. It's now my favorite Christmas song.

I wish I knew the history of it- but I don't. The guy that sings this version is a phenomenal musician. His name is Aaron Gillespie. He's a drummer. I have never heard such passion before. Watch this:



Come, they told me
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Our newborn King to see
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum

Our finest gifts we bring
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
To lay before the King
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Rum, pa, pum, pum, rum, pa, pum, pum

So to honor Him
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
When we come

Little Baby
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
I am a poor boy too
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum

I have no gift to bring
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
That's fit to give a King
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Rum, pa, pum, pum, rum, pa, pum, pum

Shall I play for You
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
On my drum, on my drum

I played my drum for Him
For You honored me

Mary nodded
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
The ox and lamb kept time
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum

I played my drum for Him
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
I played my best for Him
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Rum, pa, pum, pum, rum, pa, pum, pum

Then He smiled at me
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Me and my drum

When we come
Me and my drum

then He smiled at me, me and my drum.

Chills. Can't watch this without tearing up.

I give Him the only thing I have to give- a piece of who I am. I may not think of that being fit to give the King.

and He smiled at me.

He's saying I have nothing to offer you but who I am. It's for an audience of One. The only One that matters. What ever you do, do it well- It's how you were created and it's perfect.

Whenever this is a struggle, think of the Little Drummer Boy.
 
Mediocrity isn't even a part of the equation.

{S}

No comments:

Post a Comment